Being an artist. It takes discipline, not just talent.


Winter  2018, I faced my fear and began going to live model sketch classes. 

I knew that my sculpting would only get better with practice not only in clay but on paper. 

I, like most artist I know,  was not secure with my ability.  What I needed was to get out of my apartment and see how my progress compared with other and learn from better artist. 

My supplies are not the most expensive, everyone else's will be better than mine. Will I be able to sit in a good seat? These are the conversations that were swirling in head. Some of the crippling thoughts that keep artist from moving forward. 

Fear of the unknowns.

 Many of the top art schools are in my home town,  I could not use location as an excuse. Will there be a class that fit in my schedule? Every day of the week there is a live sketch class in multi venues, so that was not an excuse

I can afford the best art supplies so that is not an excuse. 

The 3 studio classes I attend are very different.

Spring studio is a small independent art studio. It is small, bare bones BUT the models are great! The other artist there are very eccentric, and very good, but their quarks take getting use to. It can be very distracting, so stake your seat, put in your head phones and just work. 

The Art students league is the ultimate goal, founded in 1875 I sit in the shadow of the greats every time I attend class. The open class has everyone from established artist to novice beginners. The full timers can be a tad territorial. 

The society for illustrators has 2 sessions one is costumed and one is nude. I love it there because, it is fun, there is usually music, cocktails and a small hot food snack. They other artist are amazing, many are working illustrators, and artist. The Models are personalities not professional life models so you have to adjust as they shift in their pose.  But it does get really crowded! Always novices show up like date night. So get there early! 



So, the fear of flying...Just do it.....nothing ventured, nothing gained....there is no such thing as standing still you are either going forward or backwards....you don't know what you don't know. 











Comments

Most popular post I have written