The Artist Path-10 steps in 2018

Yippee I have passion and motivation..now. Maybe I'll just check my Facebook. 45 minutes later motivation is gone. Sound familiar? We all have been there. 

To stay on track I have to be very diligent with my self. 
When I am at home, I spend at least 45 minutes before I go to bed sketching or watching related videos. I came across Kevin Cross, www.kevincross.net http://kevincross.net/ an illustrator and comic book author. he posted;

 

This is his guide to making a comic in 100 days, but it resonated with me and my work and how I can stay diligent. 
So here are 10 steps and how I interpreted them. 

1. Start before you think you are ready. Me-If you wait you will never start. 

2. Use what you have on hand at your disposal. Me- you have enough things on hand, right now to make your art. This also can figure out what you really need, instead of buying expensive supplies you will never use. 

3. Join a community-Me-this helps keep you accountable. and see there are others going thru what you are going thru. All tips and tricks to get you thru a wall.

4. Don't be afraid to share. Me- No one, I repeat, NO ONE can do what you do or how you do it. Not sharing because you think someone will steal your idea leads me to think it may not be yours to start. If it is top secret don't share. Theirs will be a second rate copy anyways. 

6. Switch gears to avoid burn out. Me-if you stare at it too long or over work it, it doesn't get better. Making 100 heads make me not want to make anymore. make hands for a while, try something you want to learn, like marbling fabric, or beading. Get fresh eyes by getting away and coming back. 

7. Cut out distractions. Me- I am a great procrastinator When I am in my studio, my rule is no phone. I don't check it unless I am in a break. Ipad is for podcast and yes I will watch a video only if it doesn't pull my attention. So I watch things that I have seen before. Or else Just Music or silence. 

8. Get enough sleep. Me- your brain and body need the time to rejuvenate. There are plenty of all-nighters, rest when you can. 

9. Do it first thing Me-at night is the quite time for me. 

10. Don't be too precious Me-Like Kevin says, and I  have said in previous post Finished is better than perfect. thicker skin when critique is involved.

So...go....NOW. Dont wait create!

Comments

Most popular post I have written