Creative process and tools part 5

Creative process and Tools-Part 5

Find your process. There are basics levels of the creative process. Yes it varies person to person. Even the most natural of artist go thru these stages.  
When I feel stuck it usually means I need to solve a problem.  Its not that I am out of ideas or a bad artist.  The "block" is problem to be solved, don't let it get the better of you!

1. Preparation
During the preparation step of the creative process an individual becomes curious after encountering a problem.  During this stage, she may perform research, creates goals, organize thoughts and brainstorm as different ideas formulate.  Some of the things I do.  

  • Take a walk on the road less traveled, don't do your regular route. 
  • Go to a museum 
  • Inspiration
     board
  • I have a board were I list all the Works in progress, ideas for futures dolls.
  • What I found on the road less traveled



  • Change the pictures on your inspiration board. 












2. Incubation
While the individual begins to process her ideas, she begins to synthesize them using her imagination and begins to construct a creation. During this step, the individual does not actively try a find a solution, but continues to mull over the idea in the back of her head.
  • This is were a lot of people get stuck. Its just your brain working it over. 

3. Illumination

As ideas begin to mature, the individual has an epiphany regarding how to piece her thoughts together in a manner that makes sense. The moment of illumination can happen unexpectedly. For example, an individual with the task of putting together an office party may have an idea for a theme while driving home from work. 

  • In the shower or right when you wake up in the morning seems to be my time for Epiphany.  

4. Evaluation

After a solution reveals itself in an epiphany, the individual then evaluates whether the insight is worth the pursuit. He may make changes to his solution so it is clearer. 
Sketches of dolls
  • This is when I begin my sketch. I usually make a sketch of each doll before I begin. I use it as a road map not an absolute for reproduction. 
  • Leave space for happy accidents.   

5. Implementation

The implementation of an idea or solution in the creative process model is when an individual begins the process of transforming her thoughts into a final product.   An individual may begin this step more than once in order to reach the desired outcome. 
  • There are no false starts.  
  • Each new start is solving a problem and learning.  We learn more from failure than success.  
  • Don't be afraid to start again. 
Know when you are done
For me once I finish a piece, It gets photographed than I pack it away. I usually don't look at it again until it is sold or I am  packing for a show. 

Comments

Most popular post I have written