The Art doll head: basic features

Once I have the nose in place, which is the anchor of the face, I move on.  You could spend days on the nose alone, but believe me it will change once you add the rest of the features.  

 I than move to the mouth. there are many decisions to make here. Open or closed, smiling? What is it that you want to convey emotionally? 
                                                Again visual references are very helpful

winternightpoem
realpuki soso by winternightpoem, via Flickr: papa boogedy topknot  #creepy #cute #doll: great intro to making faces:
For now it seems that my dolls have a slightly open mouth.  I think it is because I am becoming a better sculpture and have better control of the clay. 
I make the mouth by 
  1. slitting the clay with a blade, 
  2. Gentle pull down on the chin to open the slit.  
You notice in the background that I have a lot of tools. But I don't use them all. The some of the cheap plastic ones stick to the clay.  Sometimes a knitting needle or bamboo skewer works best. 


This is how I use to make my lips.  

This now what my lips look like,  Keep working at it.  it will get better!


Comments

Most popular post I have written