Creative process and tools. Part one

 Part One
I feel like I have turned a creative corner regarding my Art dolls this past year. 
 I have read, watched, and sat in on classes, tutorials and videos by Doll masters.
  I am careful not to try to emulate the style of the other artist, but learn their techniques for solving problems I come across. There are many ways to solve any given problem, so I experimented until I found the ones that works for me.
  Learning more techniques has freed me to refine the sculpts and make stronger armatures. (Costuming is not, thankfully, as issue for me).
The more tools in your arsenal the more creative and spontaneous you can be. 
This my current method.

The Head
  • Clay- I have spent a lot of time and money on polymer clay's.  And I  have narrowed it down to a few.  
    • Super Sculpty original firm-I love this clay. it is hard to condition but holds fine detail really well, and is very strong.  BUT Since I do mostly ethnic skin tones, shades of brown are my mainstay, but I hate  painting skin tones. 



      This was sculpted using SS firm and painted with acrylics.

    • Super Sculpty - This is my "go to" clay, comes in many colors so its easy to mix colors.  not too soft or elastic.  There is a lovely translucent quality to it.

  • My new favorite and I may be in love is Fimo Professional Doll clay. 


 I have stayed away from other "Doll" clay's they all have particular properties like rebounding to soften details or strange colors. But this clay is really excellent.  I have only done one head so far and it is amazing.


Comments

Most popular post I have written