The Art Doll head: Part One

Part Two
Head
I general mix my skin tones from red, blue and yellow clay. This is a left over habit from art school. I was so poor that I could only afford the basics.  It taught me resourcefulness, and a great  eye for color.  
Construction of the head
  • I start with a piece of aluminium foil, and a wooden dowel or armature wire.


* one tip I recently learned was to hot glue a penny to the top of the dowel before you put the foil on, that way the dowel wont poke thru the top of the sculpt. Also wash your hand after the foil so the oxidation does not leave dark streaks in you clay. You can also cover the foil with a layer of masking tape. 


I start with the nose. It is the center of the face there for the anchor.  
I don't concern myself with trying to achieve a perfect head shape, I solve that issue later with two bakes. 


Face Proportions by vik-west
Always have visual guides around you. 
This will help your eyes and hands work together.  

Comments

Most popular post I have written