The Artistic Path-The motivation to show up

You have to show up. Everyday in some way. 
       My work took a dramatic turn when I took my studio out of my apartment and started renting a studio space. The distractions in my apartment was even larger than I knew.  https://spaceworksnyc.org. I can now work on more than one piece at a time. All my supplies are in one space. there is an Art supply store a few blocks away, and I can walk to the studio. On the walk, I can go to the hardware store or the thrift store or buy some lunch. I use the walk to clear my mind and prepare for the work I will do when I get there. Since I pay money to rent the studio space I have an obligation to show up so I don't waste my hard earned money. That is a motivation.
     You only get better by practice. Yes there is a degree of natural ability. Yes things do come easy to some people. Yes I am one of those people, BUT to refine and grow as an artist you have to practice your craft everyday. That is what a plateau is telling you.  You need to break thru the stoppage, and the only way is to practice, refine and apply, everyday in some way. You cant rely on natural ability to get over the humps.  That is Motivation.
  When it is only you, you have to show up! No one can do it for you, That is motivation.

Comments

Most popular post I have written