Where to show your work; out of the doll show into a gallery

           At this years Quinlan show, I took part in a panel  "The Business of Being an Artist". The discussion led to where, other than doll shows, can you show your work. My answer is, if you are an Artist you should try to show in Art galleries. There are many types of galleries you need to find the one that fits your Artistic version.
           This means you have to put the work in and find the gallery. On Line, and in person.    I spotted and Artist whos work I really admired, He is a sculptor that works in clay, but his glaze work and form reminded me of my work. I found out that he exhibits in a Gallery called Zenith.
At the Brooklyn Museum Show, I was lucky enough to exhibit in, Zenith Gallery had a booth. I got to see in person what type of Artist they represent and I knew, when I was ready my work would fit.
         For 3 years I have watched and waited for my opportunity to apply for one of their shows.
Here is the result I applied for their Show RESIST. I had the perfect piece, So I applied and not only was I juried into the show, but my piece is on the Advertising for the show!

Zenith Gallery 
in association with
BusBoys and Poets   & Lake Research Partners  
Presents
RESIST
Nationally Juried Show 
at Zenith Gallery and Busboys and Poets
Show Dates at Zenith Gallery: July 13, -September 1, 2017
Zenith Gallery Opening Reception to meet the Artists: Thursday, July 13, 5-8 pm
The answer is, know your work, than find where you fit in the world. Maybe it is a gallery that deals in lighter subjects, or a bookstore that has space to show your work. Does your church or place of worship have a space? Your local town hall may be looking for an artist, or Library? Do the work and think outside the box.

Comments

Most popular post I have written