The Artistic path: learn from the masters

I am a sponge. I absorb everything around me. Subconsciously all works its way into my work. that is way I am very selective which artist I take class from.
I only began taking Master classes after I thought I had a good grip on my personal style and vision, I knew what my hands would do, how they translate into clay. I than identified where my problem areas where, this also occurred after my first critiques at NIADA. (At my level I would never take a class from a teacher that wants you to make a doll exactly like theirs.)
Learn a technique and use it in your way,

My first class was with the great Floyd Bell. He is a NIADA artist that works in wood. Wood is a subtraction technique, clay is an additive technique. What I learned was the basic wood techniques, and tools. The techniques are slow and there are no shortcuts!

My second was with the infectious Kate Church, also a NIADA artist.  She taught me to loosen up. and that movement can build intention. The important lesson was to FINISH, It doesn't have to be perfect or even good, but the act of finishing breaks thru the tough moments. I still use her techniques in my Tiny Dancer series.

My next was with NIADA artist EJ Taylor. A true Master and one of the founders of the Modern Art Doll. I took preclusion to learn as much of his techniques as I could BEFORE I took his workshop, than I could just concentrate on being "present". Good thing I did. He wants you to do you, not him. His technique your style, your vision. Not only was it a different clay, but different paint. It was like starting completely over.

The point is, you learn from the Masters, absorb the techniques, PRACTICE, than use what you learn in your work or not. You will never be Van Craig, or Anna Brahms. Be the best you you can be.

Comments

Most popular post I have written